A Zero Waste Holiday Gift Guide
4 Minute Read.
You survived Thanksgiving dinner with offensive Uncle Tommy (and no one brought up the political climate). That’s a total win!
Now let’s cut to the chase:
“In the period between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, American households generate 25% more waste.
That’s about 1 million extra tons of trash each year, according to the Environmental Protection Agency.” A lot of this waste can be attributed to wrapping paper, boxes, and packaging from gifts, so I’ve created a Zero Waste Holiday Gift Guide to help you curb your holiday trash this year.
12 Zero Waste Holiday Gift Ideas:
Night at the Movies
- Winter is here…and you know what that means…LOTS OF MOVIES!!
- AMC and Regal both offer online gift certificates (these can be redeemed via smartphone to avoid paper printouts)
- Most local movie theaters offer gift certificates (be sure to ask for an email certificate to avoid unnecessary paper).
- More and more people are valuing experiences rather than things, which is why the gift of travel is a real treat!
- Airlines like Delta and American have online gift cards, as do many others
- Hotels.com and AirBnB also allow a ton of flexibility as they don’t lock you into a specific brand.
- A lot of shit went down this year that left a lot of people in need.
- Here are a few non-profit organizations with direct links to their donation pages:
- The Humane Society, The Sierra Club, Habitat for Humanity, Puerto Rico Relief (via UNICEF), Planned Parenthood.
Dinner at a Favorite Restaurant
- Its easy to get the scoop on what they like without giving anything away–just ask…they don’t have to know what it’s for 🙂
- Great for foodies
- The gift of relaxation? Ummm…yes plz! Who wouldn’t want this….well maybe someone who doesn’t like getting touched? In which case, maybe they really need it…
- Every single massage therapist/spa offers these, even the shady joint down the corner. Trust me, I checked!
- Used products reduce your carbon footprint because they do not require the extraction, manufacturing, or transportation of new resources, also know as the ‘provision of goods‘.
- With so many great finds on Craigslist and AptDeco, buying used is the new “new”.
- Ticketmaster is a great resource to see what’s playing in your town.
- Hamilton!!…just kidding, we all know those tickets are crazy expensive
- Off-Broadway • Comedy Clubs • Cirque du Soleil
Online Gift Card
- I don’t know what took them so long, but Apple finally came out with online iTunes gift cards.
- A few of my favorite sustainably minded stores are: Patagonia, Life Without Plastic, and the Package Free Shop.
- And of course, everyone’s main squeeze: Amazon
- Homemade Spiced Almond Milk • Homemade Pickles
- Trinidad’s famous Ponche-de-Creme (think egg-nog but with lots of RUM!)
- Why is food the only thing coming to mind? lol
Write a Letter:
There were a few years where either I (or one of my siblings) was really tight on cash, so we decided to write each other letters instead of giving gifts. To this day, I still have those letters and will probably hold onto them for far too long.
Plantable Colored Pencils
- Colored pencils that have a compostable herb pack at the end.
- When the pencil gets too short, plant the nubbin and you can grow an entire herb garden
- Seeds are non-GMO and pesticide-free
- Hand-made in the USA from sustainably harvested cedar
Reclaimed Wooden Planter
- Hand-made in Brooklyn, NY from reclaimed barn wood
- Limited Edition of 2
- Made by mama eco